The elegant and sinuous black boats are famous all over the world and are commonly associated with Venice, a bit like pizza is associated with Naples. However, not many people know that gondolas truly carry the symbol of the city!
A symbol that is found in the iron prow-head of the gondola. The sort of comb in front of each boat, which has the function of balancing the boat itself. Its shape, in fact, is not random at all:
- the S-shape resumes the twists of the Grand Canal;
- the six forward-facing teeth correspond to the six districts of Venice;
- the tooth facing inwards represents the Giudecca island;
- the arch above the last tooth represents the Rialto Bridge;
- the curved top end symbolizes the Doge’s hat.